The following series and events are part of the Arts, Music, and Theology Initiative at Montreat Conference Center.
Film and Lecture Series 2017
Films and lectures take place promptly at 7:00 pm in the Left Bank Building by Lake Susan.
- June 6 Film: “Hidden Figures”
Director Theodore Melfi, written by Melfi and Allison Schroeder, based on the non-fiction book of the same name by Margot Lee Shetterly.
- June 13 Lecture: Dr. Richard Ray
“The Heart of Luther’s Reformation: In Honor of the Word”
- June 20 Lecture: Eric Wall, Montreat Conference Center Musician
“American Muses and Music: W. H. Auden and His Musical Friends”
- June 27 Lecture: Carol Steele, Vice President for Program
Introduction by President Richard DuBose
“Montreat’s Continuing Relationship with Racism”
- July 11 Lecture: Eric Wall, Montreat Conference Center Musician
“Two Brothers and Religious Imagination: Listening to Thornton Wilder and Amos Wilder”
- July 18 Lecture: Dr. James A. Bryan II
Introduction by Dr. Ruth Currie
“Memories of Poliomyelitis, Including the 1963 Polio Epidemic in the Marshall Islands,” followed by a reception and book signing of Dr. Ruth Currie’s newly published book, Kwajalein Atoll, the Marshall Islands and American Policy in the Pacific.
- July 25 Lecture: Carlen Maddux
“A Path Revealed: How Hope, Love and Joy Found Us Deep in a Maze Called Alzheimer’s,” followed by a reception and book signing of Carlen Maddux’s new book by the same title.
- August 1 Lecture: Righton McCallum
“The NC Scots: Education and the Kirk”
2017 Arts, Music, and Theology Events
- Visual Arts in Worship A discussion and text-based planning session for bringing visual arts in worship to your church! Led by Hannah Garrity. July 5, 12, 19, 26, 2:00-4:30 pm, $10. Liturgical Arts Studio in the Way Out Building.
- Liturgical/Sacred Dancer Workshop Word Made Flesh: An introduction to the art form of liturgical dance. Learn the basics of liturgical dance, practice moving scripture and take home simple movement prayers that a congregation can do. All bodies welcome! No Charge. Led by Kathryn Sparks, Genevieve Thompson Atelian, and Debra Weir. Wednesday, June 21, Liturgical Arts Studio in the Way Out Building.
- Gospel Music for Our Time: A Celebration of Johnson C. Smith Seminary Led by Eric Wall, Tony McNeill, and Paul Roberts. July 8, 7:30 pm, Anderson Auditorium.
- St. John’s Bible: Illuminate Montreat! Ann Laird Jones presents a different illumination in the St. John’s Bible, Gospel and Acts, followed by an illumination art process! No charge. Wednesdays, 2 pm, June 7-August 2, Presbyterian Heritage Center.
- Broadway Songs and American Standards Led by Eric Wall and Friends! July 22, 7:30 pm, Convocation Hall.
Questions about the Arts, Music, and Theology Initiative? Contact Ann Laird Jones, Director of Arts Ministry for Montreat Conference Center, 662.347.3614, Annlairdj55@gmail.com.