2013 Middle School Conference at Maryville College
July 24-28, 2013
“Rolling Away Stones”
Come join us at the 2013 Montreat Middle School Conference as we begin “Rolling Away Stones” and breaking way from the barriers in our lives. Get ready to have fun by moving in faith, connecting with one another, and uncovering God’s love for us.
For youth who have completed fifth, sixth, seventh, or eighth grade, and for their group leaders. We’re excited to announce that this year’s conference will take place at Maryville College in Maryville, TN.
Nick Reed and Kathy Wolf Reed (keynoters) currently serve as Associate Pastors at First Presbyterian Church in Tuscaloosa, Alabama where they have the pleasure of working with the youth, families, and college students of the congregation. When they are not busy with exciting youth and campus ministry related events, Nick and Kathy spend a lot of time walking their two dogs, hanging out with friends & family, and cheering on the Auburn Tigers.
Derrick Weston (preacher) is the pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Yellow Springs, Ohio and the director of the Coretta Scott King Center at Antioch College. He also co-hosts a podcast called God Complex Radio. He formerly served on the staff of the Pittsburgh Project, an urban ministry that serves vulnerable youth and adults in Pittsburgh, PA. In his spare time, Derrick enjoys bacon.
Steve Lindsley (music leader) is Pastor/Head of Staff at First Presbyterian Church in Mount Airy, NC. He’s a singer/songwriter and gigs frequently as solo acoustic artist and keyboardist for Mediocre Bad Guys. He leads music for various retreats/conferences and teaches Old & New Testament at Surry Community College. He loves running, reading, hiking, and letting his sons beat him in pick-up basketball.
Allison Shearouse (co-recreation leader) is the Director of Christian Education at Johns Creek Presbyterian Church, Alpharetta, GA. As a former youth director she has taken youth to Montreat conferences & loves it! When she’s not at work, Allison enjoys traveling & exploring.
Nick Setzer (co-recreation leader) is Youth Director at Northminster Presbyterian Church in Roswell, GA. Nick is a recent graduate of Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, GA. Montreat Conferences have always been a place of welcoming, comfort, divine inspiration, and fun. A former news and sports photojournalist, Nick is an avid sports fan and played football at Newberry College. Nick is excited to spend a week with middle schoolers and share his strange obsession with energizers.
Early registration discounts are as follows:
- On or before February 1: $385 per person;
- On or before March 1: $395 per person;
- On of before April 1: $405 per person;
- On or before May: 1 $415 per person;
- After May 1: $425 per person.
This conference is limited. You must register all youth groups as a block using the 2013 Middle School Conference Registration Packet. There will be no registrations by phone. If you would like this information mailed to you via U.S. mail, please email carolo[at]montreat.org or write Montreat Conference Center, P.O. Box 969, Montreat, NC 28757, or call 800.572.2257, ext. 338.
Refund Policy: See the registration packet for cancellation details.
Questions about registration? Contact the registrar, chandlerg[at]montreat.org.
- Eligibility: The Middle School Conference is designed for youth who have completed fifth, sixth, seventh, or eighth grade by summer 2013, and for their group leaders. All groups must include at least one adult for every six young people. Adults must be fully registered and housed with their youth in campus housing. Child care is not provided during this conference.
- Conference Schedule: Details will be included in a packet of information that group leaders will receive much closer to the conference. Registration will be Wednesday afternoon after 3 PM, and each day will include keynote, worship, recreation, singing, and many other activities. In small groups, young people and adults will explore the conference theme using a manual written especially for this particular conference. The last event will be a worship service at 9 AM following Sunday breakfast.
- Maryville College: Maryville College a PC(USA) affiliated private college located in Maryville, Tennessee. Driving time is approximately three hours and twenty minutes from Atlanta, four hours from Charlotte, and 30 minutes from Knoxville. Groups will be housed in dorms on the campus of Maryville College. Dorm rooms have twin beds and mostly hall baths. All rooms are air-conditioned.
- Opportunities for High School Students: You have an opportunity to participate in the Middle School Conference in a unique way – as a member of the Work Crew. We are looking for high school students who want to attend the conference with their church groups. You will have the chance to help the conference planning team during the week. You will work behind the scenes, learn the ropes, and get an up-close look at what is involved in running a Middle School Conference. Your work crew application must be submitted by April 15, 2013. The cost is $165. The number of work crew members will be limited.
- Opportunities for Adults: If you are 21 + and are interested in applying to be a small group leader for the Middle School Conference, call 800.572.2257, ext. 327, or download a Small Group Leader Application. You may be both a small group leader and a back home leader if there is another adult with your home group attending the conference. Your registration fee is waived, and your room, board, and travel are covered! All small group leaders must be members of congregations that are members of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (for a listing of member churches, go to World Alliance of Reformed Churches).
- Check out resources from past middle school conferences.
- Limited scholarship funds are available for this conference.
- Be part of the planning team for a future Montreat Middle School Conference. Apply now!
- Have you heard about the Morgan Endowment for Youth?
Commissioning Service Liturgy
In response to requests, we’ve developed brief liturgy for a short service for commissioning the young people and adult leaders who are heading to the Montreat Middle School Conference this summer!
- Download a pdf that you can print quickly and fill in the blanks on the go!
- Download a document that you can edit yourself.
Check out other opportunities for youth and young adults offered by the Center for Youth & Young Adult Ministry