8The Montreat Conference Center is one of the largest conference centers affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The conference center is under the management of the Mountain Retreat Association, which formed in 1905 and is a church related institute. For over 100 years, we have been a place set apart for those who journey here seeking a closer relationship with their Creator.
Our Mission Statement:
Encountering God through relationships, renewal, recreation, and rest.
Our core values:
- Cultivate an abiding faith in Jesus Christ through personal and congregational spiritual renewal and growth;
- Nurture and preserve relationships;
- Demonstrate intentional hospitality;
- Care for the natural treasure that is Montreat;
- Foster a safe place; and
- Honor continuing ties to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Each year we host:
- over 5,000 youth that attend one of our six Youth Conferences
- over 40 conferences and programs attended by pastors and committed lay people from around the country
- weekly summer Sunday worship services in historic Anderson Auditorium
- over ten weeks of Road Scholar Programs
- hundreds of guest groups who come to private retreats held at our center
- thousands of people from the surrounding community to enjoy the natural beauty of our hiking trails and other recreational opportunities
Montreat offers meeting space, housing, and recreational facilities for individuals, groups, and families. We also host non-profit and business groups looking for retreat opportunities in a peaceful, gracious setting.
The landmass of the Montreat community, as a whole, has 4,000 acres of property. The conference center permanently protected 2,500 acres of this, which is now a dedicated wilderness area registered in the NC Registry of National Heritage Areas, resulting in more than 40 miles of hiking trails.
Did you know:
- The name “Montreat” came from shortening the name “Mountain Retreat”
- The first conference here was held in July 1897 and had nearly 400 participants, many of whom were staying in tents!
- The first hotel here was erected in 1901.
- The first Presbyterian conference was held here in 1907.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke here in 1965 after policies condoning racial segregation in Montreat were resolved.
- In 2013-2014, the historic Assembly Inn underwent a complete renovation resulting in updated facilities.